Balloon Animal Twisting Forum
September 18, 2014, 02:40:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The balloon animal supply store is closing so i can spend more time on  making videos.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: weekly gigs  (Read 3674 times)
roadking

View Profile WWW
« on: March 07, 2008, 03:02:21 PM »

I'm on the verge of landing a weekly gig, every fri. for 4 hrs. for 6 months. YAHOO!!!! We are working out the details. It's at a kids indoor playland kind of a thing. $ is all set. Anything I should be on the lookout for? If anyone has experience in this stuff I'd love some feedback
Wim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 03:30:16 PM »

Congratulations! I hope it works out but if it is only about $ then it will work out I assume it will work out fine.
I have no experience with it but maybe I can give you something to think about LOL.
What if you become ill? Do you have a replacement? 6 Months is a long time and people do get sick from time to time.
roadking

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 04:07:14 PM »

Thanks Wim , I have 2 other people that can cover for me so I'm all set there. I was thinking more about something connected with long term gigs that I am not thinking about. Didn't know if anyone had experience in those things. I have never done something like this. But I am excited!!!
PrincessTwister

Can't Live Without U.. Balloons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 05:40:34 PM »

Congrats!!!

I'm Stranded In A Balloon Castle
http://weblog.xanga.com/MdmTwister
Bickers

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 02:35:22 AM »

I don't have any experience either - but I wonder if you are likely to get the same children coming week after week? If so you will need to know a lot of models to keep them happy for 6 months!!! Congratulations on the job though - let us know how you get on.
roadking

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 04:57:33 AM »

Thanks. I figure I'll cycle through my list. Each night I'll have 20-30 different things and that should get me through for a while. But in the meantime I will be researching for different things and different variations. Thanks all for the support. I meet next week with management and asap I'll get some pics.
Professor T Wist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 09:30:39 AM »

Good luck with your gig, although it does present a few problems it must be excellent to have some regular work  Grin I am sure you will get spin offs from it too

If only I knew then what I know now
Bickers

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 09:43:45 AM »

Yeah - good point prof - the opportunity for marketing is huge!!!!
BalloonGuySteve

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 03:18:20 PM »

Congrates on the gig!
I twisted at a restaurant on Friday nights for just over 2 yrs. and I would get many of the same people each week as well as a lot of first timers. It always amazed me that they asked for the same thing every week, even after I would go through a list of 20 or 30 other options. Some people just know what they like.
Is there the opportunity for tips? If so, you need the parent close by when you twist for their child or you will be leaving a lot of $$ on the table.
It is also a good idea to seek out the person that employees you and show them something new every few weeks. It shows them that you want to do the best for thier custmers. Just something simple can go a long ways.
Have fun!

Steve

Steve Kinnaird
"Balloon Guy Steve"
Palm Bay, Florida
Dr Toonz

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 12:05:32 PM »

I did a recurring gig fro several months at a local flea market. You may get a fair amount of repeaters - I had one little girl who wanted the same thing week after week and no matter what I tried all she wanted was her balloon flower - couldn't even get her to try another colour had to be a pink flower with a green stem. Best advice I can offer - enjoy yourself and your audience will too.
roadking

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 06:58:03 PM »

Thanks Dr T. I'll let you know how it goes. This Fri is the first week. I hope I can get some pics, but sometimes you get so busy you can't.
koolkatkiwi

Kiwi/Canadian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 12:00:10 AM »

CONGRATULATIONS, Dick! About the photos, I suggest you get your wife to come in too, the SECOND time - not the first - and take some pics for you to use for publicity, website, etc.

Here's my advice about the gig. Cultivate the wait staff - in fact ALL the staff. Make their job as easy as possible - don't ever make extra work for them. Make friends with them. They can get you fired, or on the other hand, make it so that you stay on a long time. Don't EVER tell the wait staff or any staff what money you are making. It's bound to be much more than they get, and they will be jealous and cause trouble for you. Also, the tip about giving the boss some fantastic new sculptures every couple of weeks is a great idea.

Just my two cents.

Cheers,
Kath Cool
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 12:02:21 AM by koolkatkiwi » Logged
roadking

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 03:13:53 AM »

Thanks Kath, great advice!!!!
koolkatkiwi

Kiwi/Canadian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2008, 03:18:16 AM »

Also, maybe you could start working on your employers after a few weeks with "Wouldn't it be great if we could have a face painter here as well as a balloon twister?" type of hints, and maybe you could get Sue in there as well! Worth a try anyway.

Cheers,
Kath Cool
roadking

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2008, 03:16:12 AM »

Already did that. He doesn't want face painting because he is concerned about paint getting on his play equipment. We did convince him that glitter tattoos would work. So my wife is among a group of 4 that will rotate.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Balloon Animals