Balloon Animal Twisting Forum
July 28, 2014, 03:17:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The balloon animal supply store is closing so i can spend more time on  making videos.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions for Line Workers!  (Read 514 times)
rockinmagic

View Profile
« on: April 01, 2014, 07:21:39 PM »

Whatever I am learning I always go to the people that are actually doing what I want to learn and making money from it. So if you have a few minutes I have some beginner questions for you about line work. I am just starting and hoping to be good enough to start doing line work by this summer at the latest. I was thinking of "cutting my teeth" at a local flea market before trying to book bigger venues.

1. What do you feel are the "minimum" amount of different balloon animals you should have on your menu?
2. Based on your experience what animals need to be on every balloon twisters menu?
3. What are the most important tricks or tips you have learned while working a line?
4. How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?(Sorry, probably have to be over 40 to get this joke Grin)
I appreciate any advice you can give me. Thanks.
Nat

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 09:10:29 PM »

Sent you a lengthy blabbering email with encouragement and ideas - good luck and have fun!

Nathaniel
missballoonatic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 08:00:42 AM »

Minimum maybe 10? Depends. I recently did a community gig which was 4 hours long and I had no menu. Came out just fine, although I couldn't feel my fingers for a day!  Grin
I haven't found there to be anything specific that kids will always ask for. They will, however, start asking for one figure over and over and over once they've seen others with it (last time for me it was a squid.)
Important things: keep your cool! There will almost always be a rude parent or an annoying child somewhere in your day. Don't accept requests unless you are comfortable doing things on the fly and your line is pretty short. Remember to have fun!
... and isn't it well over 100 licks?
jillybilly1976

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 08:49:25 AM »

for me it depends on the number of kids and the length of the event and what the client has asked for I have used anywhere from 4 to 40 items to choose from.  My advice in the beginning use only items you are very comfortable making.  Don't feel bad telling a kid I don't know how to make that or I'm sorry but I'm not making thise today, it wouldn't be fair to make you one and not offer it for other kids.  The kids usually understand this.  I find it's usually the parents that tend to be insistant.  I have a rule that if the kid is under 3 I will not make a balloon for them unless their parent (note not just an adult) is with them.  This is for liability reasons.  I want to be 100% sure that they know that balloons are not recommended for young children before making the balloon.

Love, like a river, will cut a new path whenever it meets an obstacle
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Balloon Animals