Balloon Animal Twisting Forum
August 31, 2014, 01:14:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The balloon animal supply store is closing so i can spend more time on  making videos.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help! Balloon Job This Weekend! July 28; Cypress, CA.  (Read 2084 times)
Mr. Boma

Mr. Boma's Balloons

View Profile WWW
« on: July 25, 2012, 05:56:32 PM »

Hi everybody! I have a booth reserved for the Cypress festival this Saturday, July 28 at Oak Knoll Park, 5700 Orange Ave., Cypress, CA 90630.  I thought there were going to be multiple balloon people, but I just found out I'm the only one!  This is a city-wide festival, and I will be all alone twisting balloons all day long.  I'm looking for a few twisters to come give me a hand or split the day up into shifts so that I'm not twisting for 8 hours straight with a four hour long line.  The festival will take a 10% cut of our earnings, but you can charge what you want for balloons and give out your own business cards.  Here's the website for the festival: http://www.cypressfestival.com

Let me know if you are interested ASAP (all vendors have to sign a Megan's Law waiver, so I need names ahead of time).

Teacher, Voice Actor, Balloon Twister, Tuvan Throat Singer. I know... weird, right?
Mr. Boma

Mr. Boma's Balloons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 10:37:55 AM »

Nobody, huh?  Is it the festival format?  The short notice?  I signed up for it months ago, and told the woman at the time to try to get at least two more twisters.  Then this week she told me they turned away several other twisters, because they already had me.  She was really proud of herself for giving me "exclusivity."

Teacher, Voice Actor, Balloon Twister, Tuvan Throat Singer. I know... weird, right?
Nat

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 11:02:45 AM »

Wished  I could, Montana is a bit far to travel for a pay per creation.  Smiley

Nathaniel
naeno

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 07:35:33 PM »

Wish I could make it, but Georgia's a bit of a drive from CA.  Good luck!!
arisuta

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 04:43:07 AM »

How did the festival go?

Let's twist again, like we did last summer!
Mr. Boma

Mr. Boma's Balloons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 07:15:32 AM »

It was a bust. It is actually a good thing no one else from here showed up. Even though I was the only person scheduled to be selling balloon animals, it turned out there were several church groups and a couple of clowns who were giving out balloon animals for free. Even though they were only doing one balloon dogs and swords, it was still enough to slow my business to the point it wasn't worth it (I did about $45 in 4 hours). I talked to the organizer and asked her why she told me I was the only person who would be doing balloon animals. And she said, "Oh, but you said other balloon people were ok!" I packed up my stuff and left, telling her that letting people give away balloons for free while I am trying to sell them was not ok.

Nat

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 05:28:36 PM »

Been there done that --- sorry to hear that, I would have left as well.  I failed one time to figure in the risk of helium balloons being "competition."  I had parents look to buy a balloon, and walked right over to my neighbor and pickup a free helium balloon.  Never again to say the least.  Live and learn.

Hopefully they didn't charge you a vendor fee... 

Nathaniel
Mr. Boma

Mr. Boma's Balloons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 06:11:36 PM »

The restaurant I twist in gives away helium balloons.  It has a small impact on my business. But lately they haven't been able to get any helium, so that means no impact.

arisuta

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 09:39:15 AM »

Sorry to hear that. Sounds like she was a bit naive or maybe even slightly simple.

Let's twist again, like we did last summer!
funfacesforu

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 05:42:54 AM »

That has been my experience also.  They promise exclusivity but allow others to do it anyway.  Sadly its common. 
jillybilly1976

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 10:35:14 AM »

I had something similar this weekend - but I'm sure I hurt the other person's business - the balloons I saw coming from the other direction were very basic, sometimes unrecognizable. 

The event was a huge street fair that happens every year.  I was commissioned by a community association trying to save their local school.  I was there to attract kids so that they could talk to the parents.It was a long day, my line was never longer than a 15 minute wait but I never had a moment I wasn't twisting a balloon for 6 hours strait.  My tips weren't as much as I was expecting, but they were decent.  But with my tips being downI can only imagine what the other guys were like.  We don't have many twisters  here so this doesn't happen very often, infact this was the first time in 5 years I've seen another twister's work at an event

Love, like a river, will cut a new path whenever it meets an obstacle
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Balloon Animals