Balloon Animal Twisting Forum
September 20, 2014, 11:02:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The balloon animal supply store is closing so i can spend more time on  making videos.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Menu board pictures  (Read 1216 times)
Sick and Twisted

View Profile
« on: July 12, 2012, 05:05:29 PM »

I'm currently trying to make a menu board sign and I would love to see any pictures of your completed menu boards or hear about any ideas you had for making one/any improvements.  So please, post away.
jillybilly1976

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 11:55:15 PM »

this is my menu board - the pictures are actually pictures of my creations - the backgrounds edited out using graphics editing software (GIMP is a good one that can be downloaded for free online)  the pictures are printed on card stock then mounted on magnets and coated with clear plastic (this last step protects the ink from running if it gets wet - had a pool party and learned the hard way)  - The magnets are then placed on a magnetic white board

* IMG_4006.JPG (73.96 KB, 480x640 - viewed 123 times.)

Love, like a river, will cut a new path whenever it meets an obstacle
mackerous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 05:17:32 AM »

Keep in mind that if what you make differs at all from the picture, kids might be a bit upset (I know if I make something twice in a row, kids will often complain if there are any differences). You'll also end up making a lot of the same things, probably. For this reason, I don't use and don't plan on using a menu. I have toyed with the idea of bringing a dry erase board and writing new things I learned that I want to practice on it to put the idea in their head.
Simply-Twisted

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 08:48:55 AM »

on magnets and coated with clear plastic (this last step protects the ink from running if it gets wet -

Jilly - I did not like the look of plastic cover sheet. I use a spray acrylic coating... from most any art store.

take a little latex...
                add a little air...    Simply Twisted
-----------------------------------------------------
Qualatex Satisfaction Guarantee
USA 1-800-880-6118 - Canada 1-800-263-6861 - Europe +44 1279 501090
jillybilly1976

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 09:24:04 AM »

hmm - worked great for me and can barely tell it there even - I apply everything as a large piece and then cut it as a whole with my craft cutter, maybe that's the difference - I don't know - but what ever works for you, that's why this place is here for sharing ideas!  That's why I love it!

Love, like a river, will cut a new path whenever it meets an obstacle
ms. cracker

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 10:38:34 PM »

I LOVE using a menu. It's easier for me because I can pick balloons I feel like doing, and if I get tired of those I can swap to other ones. It's easier for the kids because they can see which balloons they can expect to get, and have about 10 to 14 to pick from. Most of the time they don't ask for other stuff, so then they are mainly asking for stuff I either know how to do or want to get faster at. It's really win-win.

My menu board is a 2'x3' piece of plastic board. It's not foamcore, but the stuff that is like corrugated cardboard but it's plastic. It's white, but I think you can get black also. I got it at an art store. It can get pouring-down-rained-on and still be fine. It's also very sturdy.

I got those post-it letters from the poster section at Target, in neon colors, and I laminated the letters to spell out "Balloon Menu" which for now are just stuck on the board with masking tape. (I teach special ed so I laminate EVERYTHING, therefore I have my own Scotch thermal laminator which was <$30. It sure came in handy for this little project.)

Then I made all the balloons I might do, ranging from simple one-balloon to more complex ones. I took pictures of them, got prints, and -- you guessed it -- laminated them (so they, too can survive getting rained on). I was going to do hook-and-loop tape but I've just been using masking tape to stick 'em on the board cause it's easier to change pictures. It easily fits anywhere from 10 to 14 pictures on the board, which is still pretty good, and usually I pick out a 2nd set so if I run out of something or just feel like making something else, I switch some pictures.

Having actual photos is great, because then it looks like your version of whatever it is, because it IS your version. I'm not talented enough to wipe out the backgrounds, but I used a bright color fabric as my background, so it still contrasts to the balloons so they stand out. It ended up working well for me because I like being able to change or add to my menu, and I just do more pictures when I learn new balloons. I'm still learning so I need the flexibility as I get better at twisting.

My board is pretty big, so it can be seen from a distance, but a downside of that is in breezy weather it needs to be secured well. I can secure it to the little cart thingy I keep my supplies in (one of those box thingies with wheels from the office store) and that works great.

That's what works for me, but there are lots of cool ideas, and I'm sure you'll end up with something you will be happy with for what suits your twisting.  Cheesy

This would be really funny if it weren't happening to me!
The Balloon Kid

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 06:59:51 PM »

I make mine with Microsoft Publisher with matte papper and then I laminate it
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Balloon Animals