Balloon Animal Twisting Forum
December 20, 2014, 03:31:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The balloon animal supply store is closing so i can spend more time on  making videos.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Busking Tip Jar  (Read 32090 times)
Razberry

View Profile
« on: June 24, 2012, 07:42:37 PM »

Hi, I'm new to Twisting I've only been doing it for 3 months and have been invited to busk in a small town for the long weekend. I'm not sure what to use for a tip jar and if anyone has any suggestions?

My husband thinks I should use our large clear Mega Bloks Bucket as it's clear people can see the tips and it says I have kids. My only issue with this is I don't want to look greedy.

Perhaps I should dress it up with a large leprechaun wrapping his arms around the bucket...
again I'm not sure I'm getting really nervous lol

Thanks for reading
mackerous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 06:44:36 AM »

A musician friend of mine who has been making most of his living as a busker for 15+ years gave me a few tips (pun intended) about tip jars. His is a smallish, clear box that is lifted to about chest level. He makes the point that you want to make is as easy as possible for people to give you money and bending down to put money in that hat might rob you out of multiple dollars in the course of a day.

As a twister, it's a slightly different situation. I would say at least half of the money that goes in my jar is put there by the kids (after the parents give it to them to deposit, of course). So I keep it low enough for the kids to put money in, but I don't think it's necessary. Balloon busking in a line situation is different than most other busking because people are getting a good (the balloon) as well as a service (seeing you twist). When people get a good, especially when you have a one-on-one interaction, they feel obligated to pay. I've worked without a tip jar before, simply wearing an "I twist for tips" pin and taking money in hand and still made approximately the same amount per hour I typically do, though I do believe it's easier for everyone involved to put a jar out.

Mine is very basic. It's a square-ish plastic bucket that some food items for a restaurant came in. It has a tight-fitting lid that isn't too hard to get of and I cut a hole in it. I also use it to carry some of my setup: my rounds/hearts organizer, scraps, pump, business card holder. I need to paint it, as it's standard white right now, but it does the job fine currently.

Don't worry about looking greedy. I don't think that'll be a problem. Putting a sculpture on it is a great idea. Search these forums for "tip jar" and you'll find a couple great threads about this very topic.
Razberry

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 07:29:08 AM »

thank you very much Cheesy you have some great ideas in there Cheesy I really appreciate it
sara k

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 02:33:50 PM »

Here are photo's of one I made from a Parmesan cheese container. I don't think I have used it for tips but one or two times tops. Since you were thinking of putting a character on yours I thought I'd offer up my froggie one. http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac360/skreutz/froggie%20jar%20pictures/PA120295.jpg   To top opens up on the two sections and I later glued on two small felt arms with a little bit of velcro in between the hands. They come around the front of the jar and hold together with the velcro. I can put a business card in between the hands.  I have more pictures if you wish. I put a cardboard separate down the middle and since it opens up at the tongue and the eyes both I can also use it to hold two different types of balloons. It is especially handy for the tiny water balloons.
Sara K.
Mr. Boma

Mr. Boma's Balloons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 11:04:09 PM »

I tried using a tip jar (it was an R2-D2 with a head that opens up), but I found that it was more hassle than it was worth. I now have people hand the money to me and I put it in my pocket. Not only is it easier, but I suspect that some people will not be as cheap if they are giving the money directly to me where I can see it, instead of slipping some unknown amount into a jar. However, I have no empirical evidence to back this up, it's just a hunch.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 02:56:35 PM by Mr. Boma » Logged

Teacher, Voice Actor, Balloon Twister, Tuvan Throat Singer. I know... weird, right?
Tim Brown

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 03:35:08 PM »

Much like Mr. Boma I usually have them hand me the money. I found my biggest problem was just remembering to take the jar with me half the time. When I did I was concerned about it "walking off" and also about it getting TOO much money in it then I would have to stop and empty it before someone walked off with it.
  I find that if they are handing me the money directly that I can stick it straight into my pocket and its out of sight. I dont worry so much about having some money visable to encourage tipping as most people see others handing me cash and will in turn do so as well.

When I was using it however, I used a large empty jawbreaker container. I always had a catchy little phrase on the side about tipping like "BALLOON GUY 401K PLAN", or "TIPPING IS NOT A CITY IN CHINA Smiley", etc. etc.

Just remember to encourage the tippers by thanking them (not yelling) but loudly and never miss. People tend to like (in most cases) when others know that they were just "generous" to the balloon guy etc...

I'll take one of everything, two of the really cool stuff!
Razberry

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 11:11:31 AM »

thank you all for the amazing tips  Grin it's going to  help me out a lot for my first busking job on friday

and sara k that is the cutest little frog jar I love it
Mr. Boma

Mr. Boma's Balloons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 12:04:33 PM »

Ooops! "Empirical evidence", not imperial. I must have misspelled it the first time and my phone autocorrected it to imperial, and I didn't proofread before posting. Thanks, Ari.

Teacher, Voice Actor, Balloon Twister, Tuvan Throat Singer. I know... weird, right?
sara k

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 06:08:25 AM »

Razzleberry,
Thanks, got the idea from a teacher site. The one side of the cheese lid is the open pour side and the other side has holes for sprinkle. So in order to use it I took an Exacto knife and cut the pieces out between the holes. I had to sand them down a little to smooth them out. He really looks much better with arms. I think due to his small size he works better to hold those odd balloons, rather than a tip jar.  You could also use him to hold your scraps. I can see kids helping pick up the scarps to feed the frog. What does a balloon twisters frog eat?  Rubber Worms.
jillybilly1976

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 09:49:11 AM »

I repurposed a plastic powdered juice container - it's the perfect size foe an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper to wrap around - I cut a wide slit in the lid of the container - printed the label on cardstock (it has a couple of photos of more complex sculptures and a note that says "Tips Appreciated but not required, anyone that wants a balloon will get one")

I usually only get asked about cost from ESL patrons.  And I find that for the few people that don't give anything it is made up by larger tippers.

Love, like a river, will cut a new path whenever it meets an obstacle
Mr. Boma

Mr. Boma's Balloons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 12:10:25 PM »

I love the frog/rubber worm suggestion, Sara.

I use several parmesan cheese containers for scraps and rounds, but haven't decorated them. Maybe I'll do that this summer.

Also, Target has some very cute piggy banks. They even have special holiday-themed piggies around each holiday. However, they are ceramic, so they will break if dropped on a hard surface: http://tinyurl.com/7bj5lp6

dougy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 12:42:40 PM »

Old Navy also carries several Piggy bank designs as well as holiday inspired ones. These however are made of plastic so they will not break as easily.

Dougy's Twisting
add some FUN to your event
Razberry

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 09:54:33 AM »

So my first Busking job was well as Bust Sad the first day was ok, but Canada day was horrible.... only one person gave me tips and everyone else just kept running off with my balloons Sad it didn't help that kids kept yelling they are free, (I was doing this at a store and the stores owners kids I gave them free balloons. so they told everyone they were free) Sad

I felt like putting up a big sign.

anyway I also had a birthday party so that helped.

the store is half an hour away not sure if it's worth going back or not, the store owner say he would really like me to come back though.

Thanks for all your great Ideas,
Mr. Boma

Mr. Boma's Balloons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 12:46:12 PM »

I know some people hate them, but you could use a tip sign or button. Something that says "I twist for tips," or "Tips welcome." I wear a pin that says "I twist for tips" and another that says "Suggested Tip: $3874.95"  Because people really will take advantage of you. Also, there are lots of situations where the balloons really are free because someone else has already paid you, like birthday parties. So they might think you are being paid by the store (or restaurant in my case) or donating your time and product. When people ask me "How much?" I say "I work for tips. The restaurant doesn't pay me. So, it's whatever you think is fair."

Paddy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2014, 01:58:56 PM »

I have a list of choices for the balloons taped to my kit with "$$$ PLEASE TIP $$$" across the top in LARGE LETTERS.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Balloon Animals