Balloon Animal Twisting Forum
September 01, 2014, 04:13:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The balloon animal supply store is closing so i can spend more time on  making videos.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Magic for kids, for grown ups who can't do magic  (Read 1444 times)
Ant

View Profile
« on: December 06, 2012, 07:47:04 PM »

Hi there,

It's been a long time between posts. Hope you are are twisting away happily and Happy Christmas in advance.

I've just very recently bought some magic tricks to amuse my kids (and myself!).
E.g., a magic colouring book which my five and three year old think is, well, magic.

Can anyone recommend simple to do tricks that will amaze small kids?

Thanks
Ant
Karen Climer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 04:07:02 AM »

Sponge balls are my favorite and kids (and adults) love them.  They do require a small bit of practice. But it is very easy to learn and worth it.
Magic-Ian

Twist and Shout

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 09:47:46 PM »

You can't go past the change bag.  It is so versatile...they put in silks ...you pull out balloons. 
Mr. Zapz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 04:50:30 AM »

Lol only us magicians call them silks, they are handkerchiefs to the lay person. Lets see, the hot rod is a cute one that's fairly simple and people love it. Rope with 4 ends, slush powder, comedy funnel, and the torn and restored newspaper are all relatively inexpensive simple tricks. Oh and a couple d'lites can never go wrong around the holidays as long as you do some practicing in front of a mirror.

All together now, 1....2....3.....ZAP!!!!!!
sara k

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 07:49:14 AM »

I vote for the change bag, a dove pan is nice and fraidy cat rabbit. These are all self working, but you still need to practice. The last two apparatuses are a little expensive but what magic is cheep?
Sara K.
Ant

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 05:29:21 AM »

Thanks for the great suggestions.
Magical Twists

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 07:21:10 PM »

Doing magic for children isn't about skill.  It is about presentation.  Pick things that are gimmicked and require almost no slight of hand, that way you are not nervous about doing it right, but focus on interacting with the children.  Laughs are far far far more important than gasps.  Understand also that it will be an investment.  I highly recommend Seriously Silly as a great resource, you not only learn routines, but theory about doing magic for children.  No Fear Kid Magic (3 Volumes) is another great resource, the skeleton for my first shows come from these DVDs, I just added my own style and then had a show.  Keep it short, 20-30 minutes tops!
All of these are available from penguinmagic.com and other places too.
Karen Climer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 08:26:02 PM »

I also recommend Seriously Silly by David Kaye (Silly Billy).  There is a book and a DVD.  Get them both.  If you can only get one, get the book.  It is my favorite book on magic.  He goes through some of his routines.  They are all standard magic tricks (change bag, coloring book, milk pitcher, etc.)  These are the same tricks that all kids magicians do.  But his routines are just fantastic.

He talks about his theories for entertaining kids, how to deal with kids, how to do different magic for different age groups.  He covers everything.

You can get it from Silly Billy or any magic shop.

I've never heard of No Fear Kid Magic.  Who made it?
Magical Twists

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 06:23:21 PM »

My bad, No Fail Kid Magic Vol 1.-3 Sean Taylor of Australia.  I will say that the only downside is that he uses some props that he has produced in Australia and purchasing them can be pricey, but that is for only 15% of the effects.  Here the link
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S12409
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Balloon Animals