Balloon Animal Twisting Forum
July 24, 2014, 09:55:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The balloon animal supply store is closing so i can spend more time on  making videos.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: what would you do?  (Read 954 times)
ms. cracker

View Profile
« on: July 05, 2012, 01:58:35 PM »

I've been asked to help at a free charity event. I don't mind helping, but I was at the event last year and it was a lot different from what I'm used to in several respects:

1. It's a group of twisters.
2. They only know about 3 or 4 things to make.
3. They don't make those things like I make those things.
4. They pre-inflate hundreds of balloons, and I noticed also wasted most of them since they didn't get used.
5. I don't think they use good quality balloons based on poppage last year.

The group thing is fine, and I bet I can learn stuff from them anyway. I haven't got the hugest repertoire myself but I can easily put 10 things on my menu and still have another couple of sets of things to switch them all out (maybe 30-35 things I can do by heart, ranging from one balloon figures to simple multi-balloon figures). I can maybe learn to use their patterns, I'd think (but mine are cuter). I'm worried that coming in and trying to get them all to use my patterns (and a bunch of those are my own) will seem pushy. I usually don't pre-inflate tons of balloons. I would prefer to use my own balloons/pumps, cause those are the tools I'm used to working with.

I'm not that experienced at events yet. Has anyone else joined forces with other twisters? Did you do your own stuff or the same as each other? I don't want to offend the other people, but I don't like the idea of lowering my standards either (eg balloon quality). Will it seem uppity to not share their balloons? What might be a good way to help (I guess they do need extra twisters) without compromising my reputation or standards? I know it's not a paid gig, but I still think it deserves my best (such as it is) or else why do it at all?

This would be really funny if it weren't happening to me!
G. D. Harvey

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 10:01:02 PM »

I have had this happen several times,  At the last event with other twisters they were doing one balloon swords and simple dogs ect.  I just did my own thing during the last hour I had to have security come and stamp hands to close my line and the other twisters were standing around without any one waiting for them.  I used 10 dozen hairbands and I don't know how many balloons, but I got a whole lot of referrals from this one gig.

Do what you do best how you like to do it,  Let the other twisters catch up with you, you don't have to lower yourself to their level.  You can tell if you are doing what the children want by watching the lines..
jillybilly1976

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 11:11:38 AM »

what GD said - do what you would normally do if it was a paid event - have business cards ready.  The other twisters will either step up their game or they won't - either way you want to paint the best picture of yourself you can.  Do not "dumb down" your creations unless specifically asked to by the event co-ordinater, which is highly unlikely if you are producing quality work for free.

You'll find impatient kids will go to the other twisters the ones that want quality will wait

Love, like a river, will cut a new path whenever it meets an obstacle
Razberry

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 08:04:29 AM »

I had a similar issue about a month ago, the other twisters were just doing swords and one balloon dogs things I'm not a fan of, the person in charge wanted me to do small fast things like that as well so that all the children would get balloons. I modified a lot of my balloon animals so they were one and a half balloons I still made them look way cuter then the regular one balloon animals but everybody was happy. A lot of the parents even said I was the best they've ever seen and I got lots of complements on how many things I knew, I think I only did maybe 10 different animals the whole day
ms. cracker

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 10:27:18 AM »

Thanks, I appreciate the advice from your experiences!

This would be really funny if it weren't happening to me!
missballoonatic

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 10:38:46 AM »

Honestly, I have no idea what I'd do. My balloon twisting partner (who is moving away, so it'll just be me) doesn't know as many designs as me, but she has a decent repertoire and is very creative with the Sharpies. So, I've never worked with someone who is a good deal worse than me. I'd most likely explode from frustration.
On a side note:
I dislike going places where there's a balloon twister who clearly doesn't know what they are doing. There's a guy in his twenties around here who is at literally every event I've seen. Bee festival? Check. Renaissance fair? Check. Farmer's market? Check, check, check. As far as I have seen (by his menu board and by watching him, haha, I'm a stalker) he knows less than ten designs. He doesn't use 160s, bee bodies or 350s/60s... or even Qualatex balloons. And his prices are astronomical. I'm wondering how he gets hired!
He doesn't seem to do any birthday parties though- I think I'm the default for that. Smiley But seriously, he just doesn't know enough to be a professional twister- not claiming that I am one, but I know y'all who are, and you would likely laugh at him. Sorry to rant, as I so often do.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Balloon Animals