Balloon Animal Twisting Forum
April 23, 2014, 12:05:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The balloon animal supply store is closing so i can spend more time on  making videos.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Minimum Tip Sign?  (Read 1387 times)
Magical Twists

View Profile
« on: March 06, 2012, 07:17:27 AM »

I am going to be trading decor for booth space at a Kids Fair in two weeks.  Parents have to pay to get in, but parking is free.  There will be other free activities for the kids.  There is another booth giving away simple one balloon animals.
Originally, I was going to sell the balloons and have a variety of prices and designs.  However, not wanting to pay sales tax, on top of income tax, I will probably be working for tips. 
I live in a cheap town and average less than $1 per child when doing line work for tips.  Anyone ever have a minimum tip sign?  Similar to museums that have a suggested donation sign? 
jillybilly1976

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 08:35:16 AM »

I would word it as a suggested tip, rather than minimum tip personally if your going to do the sign.  Personally I don't like doing this because if you put a dollar amount up, people are more likely to pay that and someone who may have given you 10 or 20 bucks may just give whats on the sign.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 08:45:07 AM by jillybilly1976 » Logged

Love, like a river, will cut a new path whenever it meets an obstacle
MileHiTwister

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 09:19:45 PM »

I read somewhere on one of these forums about the idea of having a button that says "Suggested Tip $2,643.75"  When people notice it and say that's a bit high, you are supposed to say something like ,"Is it?" or It's just a suggestion."  But the number doesn't have a 1 in in anywhere and the last digit is a 5.  The digit before the decimal is a 3.  All of this is supposed to suggest a tip higher than a dollar.  I haven't tried this yet, but plan on ordering a button from Office Depot before the summer starts.  I think it'll be a fun conversation starter either way.

I haven't ever had a "minimum tip," but people invariably ask something like "are the balloons free?" or "How much are the balloons?" and I answer, "I'm working for tips today.  Most people are tipping $3-5 for small creations and $7-$10 for larger ones."  (Please note: when the lines are long, those numbers go up to $5-7 and $10-$12!  It helps thin the line a bit.)  Sometimes I get people who say they don't have any money or only have a couple bucks.  I always make a balloon for every child regardless and say, "then let me give you a gift today."  At least then the parent's know it's a gift and don't go around telling everyone I'm giving out free balloons.  I've also had people who got a free balloon or something for a dollar come back by and give me $5, especially if it was slow and I made them something nice.  Sometimes I have people ask me "What can you make for $20?"  The cell phone payment.  And probably something with 10 or more balloons in it.
SomeClownConsulting

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 10:10:51 AM »

Beware of "suggested tip" or "minimum tip" signage.  I've been told that the IRS views signs that say "minimum donation/tip/contribution" as sales prices... now the one with the outrageous price might be an exception, kinds of like my telling people that balloons cost $500,000 because I'm trying to pay off the national debt.

Porter "Poppa Balloon" Broyles
www.someclownconsulting.com
BlowingUpAnimals

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 06:35:20 AM »

Beware of "suggested tip" or "minimum tip" signage.  I've been told that the IRS views signs that say "minimum donation/tip/contribution" as sales prices... now the one with the outrageous price might be an exception, kinds of like my telling people that balloons cost $500,000 because I'm trying to pay off the national debt.

Made me laugh thanks!

"Nobody can be uncheered with a balloon"
~ Winnie the Pooh
VJ-orangedred

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 05:37:31 PM »

I always say " oh the balloons?... its jus tips like $2-$3 I take $10's &$20's!"most ppl will tip like $2-$3 but some will tip 5's and 10's and even 20!

There's More than 1 way to have fun
W/Latex! ;-)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Balloon Animals