Balloon Animal Twisting Forum
October 02, 2014, 01:24:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The balloon animal supply store is closing so i can spend more time on  making videos.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Thumb/Wrist Pain!!!!  (Read 910 times)
Fun With Sparkles

Sparkles!

View Profile WWW
« on: May 13, 2012, 05:49:31 PM »

Hello, fellow twisters! I have been twisting for 6 years, with the past 2-3 really consistent. This past week, I noticed my right base of my thumb hurting, kinda feeling bruised when I put pressure on it.... not sure how I did it, but I had to do many balloons since then, and had to push through the pain, and today the pain is spreading down into my wrist area and up my arm a few inches!   I was wondering if any of you had succumb to such injury and how you dealt with it?... this really stinks....not sure if it is a muscle thing or perhaps in my tendon, since it is spreading into my wrist and forearm?  Cry
sara k

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 06:07:47 PM »

Yes,
I had this last winter. The base of my left thumb hurt. I think it was carpel tunnel.  I went to my chiropractor and he said it wasn't that bad but it really hurt. He worked it over with some cream and a silver bar that he rubbed it down. It got purple spots all up and down the wrist the first time he did it. I went back a few more times and  kept doing the stretches he told me to do. This winter I had no problems. Thank goodness. A couple of stretches to do:  Place the hand against the wall thumb pointing towards the ceiling and arm held out straight to your side. You are not facing the wall but are perpendicular to the wall. Lean your shoulder forward to feel a stretch in your arm.  Face the wall and place both hands on wall shoulder height elbows bent. Lean into the wall to feel the stretch in the chest. I know these look like upper arm stretches but with twisting we end up bringing the shoulders forward so much I really think that it starts up there. There are some you tube videos out there for carpel tunnel stretches that you can do until you get an appointment but I really suggest you go see a chiropractor. Mine saved my hand.
Fun With Sparkles

Sparkles!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 06:10:30 PM »

Wow, sara! Very informative information! I do appreciate taking the time to share this with me! I was dreading to hear the "carpel tunnel" word..... I never would have thought to see a Chiropractor! Thank you so much! Cheesy
ChancesAre

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 12:17:14 PM »

Sparkles, I couldn't suggest strongly enough seeing a massage therapist and possibly a chiropractor.  I'm going to ask my wife, who is a massage therapist, what she thinks tonight.  Good luck...
unicaw89

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 05:48:50 PM »

That defintely sounds like carpel tunnel. Make sure you stretch your wrists before and after every gig!

Cody Freakin' Williams
Unicyclist gone Twister
www.Youtube.com/unicaw89
sara k

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 08:43:33 PM »

sorry I forgot in re reading my post that last stretch you should be in a corner with hands on either wall and lean into the corner stretching your chest and shoulders back. Go see a chiro before it gets too bad.  I'm so glad I did. and Keep stretching before, after and daily on the hand to keep it in shape.
Sara K.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Balloon Animals