Balloon Animal Twisting Forum
October 31, 2014, 06:28:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The balloon animal supply store is closing so i can spend more time on  making videos.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: New website up and running  (Read 3460 times)
SomeClownConsulting

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2012, 09:52:05 PM »

the closest bigger city is Minneapolis which is about an hour and a half away. Gonna try to go a little higher in price and also got rid of the 2 different line services just gonna have the one. I would prefer to make better than quicker for a bigger impact.

When I look at the local twisters, there are a whole slew of twisters who frankly aren't that good.  They generally got a job (like I did) working for a company that specializes in putting barely trained twisters in restaurants.  Now, don't get me wrong, some of those twisters are actually quite good---but a large percentage never get beyond the basics. 

There are also a lot of twisters who are twisters second and something else first---decorators, magicians, face painters, clowns, etc.  Again, some of these people are very good twisters, but a large percentage never get beyond the basics.

There aren't too many twisters in the Houston Market who I consider to be really good twisters.  If you want to hire any old twister, you probably are not going to hire one of us... because we charge more.  Do I lose business to the less expensive twisters?  Yes.  Have I actually referred people to one of those twisters? Yes---one of them is probably reading this post.  I can't do anything about that.

What I can do is raise my artform to a level where I have a different niche.  If you want one of the best twisters... somebody who can really wow you, then you are coming to me.  If you want somebody who is simply going to make dogs and swords to entertain a 3/4 year old kid, then frankly I don't want that gig.  I want something that is going to challenge me as well as be fun.

Porter "Poppa Balloon" Broyles
www.someclownconsulting.com
SomeClownConsulting

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2012, 10:06:18 AM »

There aren't too many twisters in the Houston Market who I consider to be really good twisters.  

Ok, I can't believe I aid that... what a difference two months will make.  There are a lot of really good twisters... ask me 3 months ago where I stood amongst Houston Balloon twisters and I would have said top 5 arguably top 3.  Ask me today where I stand amongst Houston Balloon twisters... top 20 maybe top 10?  It's not that there aren't good twisters here, it's just I hadn't met too many of them... now that I'm meeting them.... WOW.

dougy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2012, 07:46:14 PM »

That brings up a very good question how is it that you meet the other twisters. Being in Houston I suppose it is possible to get a balloon jam together. Here in a smaller community I think there is only 2-3 of us here and 1 of those is more of a ventriliquist/magician rather than a balloon twister. Does one jsut call them up and introduce themselves. I come from a long retail carreer where you don't speak to the competition and you don't tell them anything. So it was a surprise to me with balloon twisting how much comradery there is and sharing of information.

Dougy's Twisting
add some FUN to your event
Peter John

If you build it they will come (and take it away!)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2012, 04:42:07 AM »

That brings up a very good question how is it that you meet the other twisters. Being in Houston I suppose it is possible to get a balloon jam together. Here in a smaller community I think there is only 2-3 of us here and 1 of those is more of a ventriloquist/magician rather than a balloon twister. Does one just call them up and introduce themselves. I come from a long retail career where you don't speak to the competition and you don't tell them anything. So it was a surprise to me with balloon twisting how much comradery there is and sharing of information.

craigslist, do a websearch on your area, attend events in your area and introduce yourself, lastly dating services (okay, the last one probably won't happen).  Don't be afraid to introduce yourself to you competition.  Sharing ideas will increase both of your businesses as the better product you offer the more people will desire your product and see value in your costs.  Also, by having the value up of your competition it inspires you to innovate and improve.  Lastly, when you know your competition is of value it allows you to refer overflow customers to them... if you are on a friendly basis with them, they should do the same.

SomeClownConsulting

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2012, 06:55:06 AM »

That brings up a very good question how is it that you meet the other twisters. Being in Houston I suppose it is possible to get a balloon jam together. Here in a smaller community I think there is only 2-3 of us here and 1 of those is more of a ventriliquist/magician rather than a balloon twister. Does one jsut call them up and introduce themselves. I come from a long retail carreer where you don't speak to the competition and you don't tell them anything. So it was a surprise to me with balloon twisting how much comradery there is and sharing of information.

See the article on me in the Chronicle (on my webpage www.someclownconsulting.com)

But no, sharing ideas is crucial in this business as is getting along with your competition.  The worst thing that you can do is to talk down on your competition.  The entertainer business is a small community and negativity gets around. 

By helping your competition succeed you help to create a demand, because your competition will probably only get a fraction of the parties s/he inspires clients to hire.  I KNOW that there are people who see me do balloons and decide to hire a twister as a result of seeing me... but don't have my contact info or decide that I'm too expensive and hire somebody else. 

I also KNOW that  people hire me who have seen other twisters.  For that reason, you don't want people out htere doing a half assed job.  It benefits you to have your compeition doing its best... and generally, thre is enough business to keep you all employed.

Peter John

If you build it they will come (and take it away!)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2012, 05:49:07 PM »

See the article on me in the Chronicle (on my webpage www.someclownconsulting.com)

But no, sharing ideas is crucial in this business as is getting along with your competition.  The worst thing that you can do is to talk down on your competition.  The entertainer business is a small community and negativity gets around.  

By helping your competition succeed you help to create a demand, because your competition will probably only get a fraction of the parties s/he inspires clients to hire.  I KNOW that there are people who see me do balloons and decide to hire a twister as a result of seeing me... but don't have my contact info or decide that I'm too expensive and hire somebody else.  

I also KNOW that  people hire me who have seen other twisters.  For that reason, you don't want people out there doing a half assed job.  It benefits you to have your competition doing its best... and generally, there is enough business to keep you all employed.

I KNOW that there are people who see me do balloons and decide to hire a juggler, magician or a lawyer...  or grab their tar and feathers Roll Eyes Go figure.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Balloon Animals