Balloon Animal Twisting Forum
April 16, 2014, 08:55:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The balloon animal supply store is closing so i can spend more time on  making videos.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: bowling balloon hat  (Read 1978 times)
rutica

View Profile
« on: October 13, 2011, 09:31:17 PM »

We are having a meeting at work and the theme is sports. There will be several groups attending the meeting and my group's specific sport is bowling. So i wanted to make 9 bowling ball balloon hats.

I found a cool picture here:
http://balloon-animals.com/forum/index.php?topic=1087.msg18153

Some people will be embarrased to wear the hat though, so i was wondering how i could tone it down a bit. In the post, StaceyK said she used a 11 inch blue agate for the ball. Do they sell smaller sizes--like 5 or 9 inch? Do you think that would look right? Also, how were the pins made? Is there any way to make the pins using my current inventory of 260s? How should I attach the ball and pins to the hat?

Does anyone have video tutorials or pictures of a subtle bowling ball hat?

Thanks!
Irish Twister

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 04:21:07 PM »

Looks cool. You might want to post that in the Instructions page though.. It will get more replies. How does the hat exactly go on though?
rutica

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 06:53:33 PM »

Irish,

thanks for writing. good question about how the hat goes on! i'm not sure from that picture.

i experimented tonight and made a simple hat with a white 260 blown up only 1/3 of the way as the bowling pin. i took a red uninflated balloon, cut it lengthwise to make it thicker, and tied it around the white 260 to complete the pin. (my husband suggested i could also use red electrical tape).

Then i took a white 5 inch round as the ball. so it's a subtle hat.

However, the white 5 inch round for the bowling ball isn't very pretty, so what i'm looking for now is a 5 inch agate round. I searched online but only found 11 inch agate rounds. Does anyone know where to find 5 inch agate rounds? (A 5 inch round will be more subtle than an 11 inch round).

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 06:56:28 PM by rutica » Logged
G. D. Harvey

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 08:12:00 PM »

You maybe able to find an agate colored 5 inch round in the water balloon section of wally world/kmart.  I use them for small multicolored projects.  They are not a quality product but they do work.  I also use the Water Granade balloons for turtle shells as they have a geometric pattern on them.   
Good Luck,
Glenn
rutica

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 08:52:06 PM »

G.D.Harvey,
thanks for writing. i searched Kmart's website and couldn't find it.

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/search_10151_10104?vName=Toys+%26+Games&keyword=water+balloon&viewItems=25&autoRedirect=true&redirectType=CAT_REC&prop17=water%20balloon

oh well.
G. D. Harvey

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 01:27:22 AM »

I found an open bag they are Funsation  Groovy Soakers  they are manifactured by Pioneer.  They are 4" rounds  36 to a bag.  I got them off a seasonal rack at one of the national chains I don't remember which one.  It may of been a drug store walgreens, sav-on etc..  I hope you can find some they are great for multicolored lady bugs, turtles, anything you use a colored round for.
Good Luck,
Glenn
Irish Twister

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 07:57:52 AM »

For the red part of the bowling pin- inflate the balloon about 2 inches or so and leave a 1 inch end on both sides of the balloon and bring them around the white pin and tie them together. For the white pin part- take a 1 inch bubble and tulip twist it into a about 6 in long bubble. Then, tie the red part around in between the top bubble and the 6 in bubble. Hoped that helped.  Wink
vslg1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 08:45:10 PM »

Don't inflate the 11'' to 11''s...inflate to a small round size...
rutica

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 12:57:53 PM »

G.D Harvey,
I found a bag on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Groovy-Soakers-Premium-Water-Balloon/dp/B0028K29C2
These look good. So they look like bowling balls when inflated?

Irish: thanks for the explanation. it looks good with the tulip twist, i hadn't thought of that.

vslg1: i was thinking of buying the 11" and inflating them half way. but would the colors look right if it's not completely inflated?

thanks to all for writing!

Irish Twister

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 05:10:03 PM »

Hmmm... My bet it would be yes to your question as whether they would look like bowling balls. I don't know whether they are 5" or 4" but don't inflate all the way as they won't look like a sphere more like an egg shape. Those would be neat bowling balls though. $10 is pretty expensive though...
rutica

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 06:37:11 PM »

Irish: under product details, it says: Product Dimensions: 5 x 5 x 5 inches

So i'll try it. i ordered them this afternoon. there was free shipping, so at least that is good. I'll let you know how they look after they arrive.

thanks again for the suggestion for the bowling pin.
SomeClownConsulting

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 09:43:55 AM »

Don Caldwell teaches a cool balloon bowling hat on Mad Hatz III... I think I have an image of it on my webpage.

But since I learned it from his video, you'll either have to figure it out for yourself or get the video.

Porter "Poppa Balloon" Broyles
www.someclownconsulting.com
rutica

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 08:04:01 PM »

SomeClown: i checked out your photos! very nice! you are very talented. i found your bowling ball hat. it's great!

for my work meeting i wanted to be subtle, so i am planning on doing just one small 5" bowling ball and one small pin.

thanks for writing!
SomeClownConsulting

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2011, 07:16:10 AM »

SomeClown: i checked out your photos! very nice! you are very talented. i found your bowling ball hat. it's great!

Thanks for the compliment... but I do have to give credit where it is due, the bowling hat is Don Caldwell's design, this is just my interpretation of his design.

Porter "Poppa Balloon" Broyles
www.someclownconsulting.com
rutica

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2011, 09:43:14 PM »

i tried the 5" rounds for my bowling ball, but they didn't look good, so i ordered the 11" agate and made this simple creation.

thanks again for everyone's help!

* DSCN1180_small.jpg (52.34 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 69 times.)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Balloon Animals