Balloon Animal Twisting Forum
August 01, 2014, 07:26:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The balloon animal supply store is closing so i can spend more time on  making videos.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: do you like kids?  (Read 3158 times)
pittiesnkittiesbeawesome

View Profile
« on: June 30, 2011, 03:28:20 PM »

just curious  how many of you out there who enjoy playing with balloons, actually dislike children? I am not saying disliking your own if you have any(most everyone loves their own so that doesn't count).. but just  children in general.

I myself have none (unless the furry variety count) and I can  honestly say with the exception of I think 6 children, i greatly dislike them

what about you guys?

don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where  it has been!
Abbeys_Mom

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 05:18:09 PM »

I have a Daughter (6) who I love dearly!

But other peoples kids I can only take in small doses.  Now, mind you, if they are well behaving and polite, then I can enjoy their company.  It's just the hyper, snot-dripping, greedy, misbehaving, hands in everything kids. 

The group I just twisted for got 3 balloons each and that STILL wasn't good enough.  The harassed the ventriloquist and were generally havoc makers.

If I wasn't getting paid, I would have left.  I did end up leaving as soon as I was able. 

On Sunday, I didn't mind staying 40 minutes over, because the kids were patient, polite and didn't rush me. 

So, to sum it up, I dislike some kids...Unfortunately, there are a lot of them  Roll Eyes
Riverdog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 08:15:55 PM »

There is no doubt about it, I don't like Kids.  My Daughter is out of the house and has no children.  So I don't have to put up them.  That's one of the reasons I don't twist at any locations.  I bring my stuff that's already made and give them away.  Some day I may twist at an adult establishment where I can tell the patrons to buzz off if I don't like them. So that would be mostly at bars and the like.

I like kids when I like them if you can understand that.  My Wife works at a elementary school so I give her my screwups.  The teachers want me to do something for them.  My thoughts at this time is NO WAY !!!  I would go to Ronald McDonalds house in a heart beat, but that could be the end of it for me.  I do this for fun, and who I want to do them for.  Doing it for children in general is out of the question at this time. 
FuDDx

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 09:09:51 AM »

I like kids, granted some of them can be a handful. In my opinion most of the kids that are hard to deal with or unbearable often times are a product of the family or lack thereof. Kids are inspiring, they are a treasure. Yes I have times sometimes a few times in a day where they are frustrating me where all I can think of is getting out of the event or venue asap. But seeing the smiles on the future of our world is great.

I understand that balloons and kids may not be a comfortable fit for some. I feel doing this work you either have to really like/love kids or you really have to be a GREAT actor and act the part of liking kids, if not I feel it shines through your fake smiles and fake thanks. If that's the case maybe you should investigate working with rounds doing classic decor you can get many more foul people to deal with that are not kids for sure.

Good luck on finding a niche that works for you and you for it. And try giving that kid a break maybe his dad isn't around anymore or moms working 24/7 or anything give kids the benefit of the doubt, they will suprise you, and they are our future, invest your time and energy in them if you can and you all will win.

Just my thoughts a bit about this.
jillybilly1976

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 11:19:43 AM »

I personally love kids.  My husband and I haven't been blessed with any of our own.  I teach children's church at my church full time - every week from september - june and I try to work my bookings around that.  There is the odd time I have to find a substitute for me or switch with another teacher (we alternate between saturdays and sundays as teachers at our church)

I'll admit there is usually that 1 or 2 kids in the crowd that grate my nerves.  Not trying to be racist, but based on my observations, they tend to be East Indian boys.  I've actually seen these children hit their mothers and not even get a scolding.  It's sad....  Don't get me wrong, I've done balloons at East Indian events and the kids for the most part were really well behaved.  If you're a guy I'm sorry you very likely won't get the opportunity.  It's quite the experience.  The men and women celebrate in seperate rooms, all children under the age of 12 are in with the ladies.

Anyway, I'll come away from that tangent...  I have only every been annoyed to the point that I told a kid that I would not make them a balloon, and I blame it as much on the mom as the kid.  The kid's hands were sticky and he kept touching my balloons, after about 4 or 5 times of telling him not to touch my balloons, with his mother right there, I told him if he touched them again I wasn't going to give him a balloon.  I forgot to say that his mom was holding his spot about 4 kids back and he was watching me, which  don't mind as long as they behave, within reason for a kid under the age of 6.  The kid grabbed a handful of balloons and I told the mother to come and take him away that he was not getting a balloon.  she was upset because they'd stood in line for over an hour and she hung around the outskirts until I was packing up, I don't know if she thought I would give in, but I didn't.  If your going to sit there and watch your kid disrespect someone else's property , don't expect them to give you any more respect then you've given them.

OK, rant done.  All that said I still love kids, and am often surprised at their patience.  Quite often the kid will wait longer than the parent is will.  Quite often I'll hear a parent say, "Are you sure you really want a balloon wouldn't you rather..."

I don't know how anyone can truly not like kids and be in this business...  Just my honest opinion...

Love, like a river, will cut a new path whenever it meets an obstacle
pittiesnkittiesbeawesome

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 02:43:23 PM »

so it seems to be a mix here and  the general consensus being the snotty bratty grabby whiny products of bad parenting monster kids are the problem. I think that is the general feeling all around whether you like children or  dislike them, the ones that are polite and well behaved are always easier to deal with. and I feel if you love kids then that's great and if you dislike them  and still enjoy doing balloons  in public you just have to learn to tolerate them and be an adult about the situation.. and if you can't do that then of course twisting can be done as an indoor hobby with the blinds drawn Grin

I personally will do my work in public-ish areas .. like hanging with  one of my demonized brain-dead dogs at the park and  practicing some twisting while we are there and of course i will do it for the few nephews i have that i enjoy being around(thats a total of 2 of them btw) and if kids come up to me while im practicing and are behaving, then fine I will play the nice sweet lady role( I'm good at that) and make the kids happy..but if im being bugged by some monster kids I will calmly  pack up and  go someplace else.  so I don't really care for kids but I can tolerate them if they are behaving and that makes doing balloons in public bearable.

but this is pretty much a "to each their own" situation

don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where  it has been!
Marvelous Marc

Eat, twist, be happy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 02:00:17 PM »

I like kids in general. I don't like bad manners. I can usually cajole my kids in line to have some level of respect. There are few times that i just want to boot one in the head.

To be honest, I like being in control with the balloons. I can discipline lines faster than I can my own children!

Eat, twist, be happy.
funat60

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 09:52:50 AM »

Oh my, such honesty here!  I like children on the whole but there are certainly ones that try anyone's patience.  I think most of us agree that the "naughty" ones can turn a good day into a trying one - but then I personally try to find a really cute, patient, quiet one in the crowd and focus on the smile that child will have when he/she gets their balloon - and hope like hell that it happens soon.
Nat

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 12:12:09 PM »

In a pay per creation environment --- kids are frequently accompanied by a parent.  In this environment, the children generally are really well behaved (at least where I am).  This is part of why I enjoy working with kids while doing balloons.

In a non-controlled environment, sometimes it can be trying, but all in all, I still enjoy it.  I work to get to the children who don't expect to get a balloon, but enjoys getting a balloon.  Something about that big smile and that sincere thank you is what I love...  I would not do balloons if I did not like kids, and my wife wouldn't help me if she didn't like kids.

Nathaniel
Papaballoon

Off with his head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 08:28:05 PM »

I am one of those who love kids.  They are fun, inspirational, open and just more enjoyable thn a bunch of puppies.  o'course, around here the vast majority are pretty well behaved.  Oh yes, there are a few that make you crazy, but like was pointed out before, a lot of that can be directed to the parents.  The only gig where i had any real difficulty was right here in my mobile home park.  The kids were not "Bad" so much as not responsive to the word "no".  then found out that they were living with Gramma until mom and Dad got out of their govt subsidized housing.  you know, large stone walls, barb wire, guards.....  sheesh.  but overall, I think kids are the coolestthing ever!

Yes, I have children, and grandchildren. and as far as I am concerned, they all walk on water....but that is just me.

Best one yet though.  Boy said "I wanna SWORD"  Dad said, "isn't there a word missing there?"  kid thought..."Yeah...I want a BIG Sword!"  I nearly fell over laughing!

how do you get to Carnige Hall? ...........PRACTICE!
SomeClownConsulting

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2011, 12:34:44 AM »

I have always loved kids, but if I were to pick my target niche, it would be the teenager to twenty something crowd.

The art that I like to do are Balloon hats and wearables.  These are not always appreciated by kids under the age of about 10, so I'd much rather work an event that is mostly adults or teens... but that stems not from a dislike of kids, but rather because they are the audience that appreciates what I do the most... and it's always fun to get adults to get excited as excited  about balloons as a little kid..

Porter "Poppa Balloon" Broyles
www.someclownconsulting.com
Ant

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2011, 06:40:15 AM »

Very funny story Papaballoon.
Kids say what they mean don't they.
arisuta

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2011, 07:48:38 AM »

I like kids but I couldn't eat a whole one. LOL. Generally speaking, I like children and they seem to like me which is a big help in my work. Because of my personality and partly my ballooning in school, the kids generally are thrilled when I step into the classroom. That makes life easier for me and easier for their regular teachers so everyone is happy. Japanese children tend to be better behaved than British children but they have their own problems and hang ups. I was busking in a couple of parks in Scotland last summer and the kids were really great. I din't even have a line, they formed their own!

PS. Like most people, I hate brats and my own son can be a terror.

Let's twist again, like we did last summer!
Toby

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2011, 01:26:38 PM »

I love kids, and I love this business, and this business goes hand in hand with kids. I don't understand how you can't like kids and be in this business. I know some kids can be rude, and selfish but I see that in the older kids and not the younger ones. Plus kids will be kids and we were one at one time or another. Thats just my opinion.
harold_a_shaver

Big Kahuna

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2011, 09:42:39 AM »

Kids are great.  Cook at 350 for 6 hours salt to taste serve with gravy. 
 Grin

Making Smiles One Twist At A Time (TM)
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Balloon Animals