Balloon Animal Twisting Forum
September 17, 2014, 10:35:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The balloon animal supply store is closing so i can spend more time on  making videos.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: New website design... want your input.  (Read 2865 times)
Peter John

If you build it they will come (and take it away!)

View Profile WWW
« on: September 11, 2010, 11:48:25 PM »

Updated one of my websites and wondering how it looks to you.  Could you give your honest opinion?  What is good or bad?  What stands out and what needs improvement?  

Do you like the mouse over effects on the front page or are they annoying?  

The photo page has not been set up yet...  (Waiting to see how good the site is so far)

www.HalfTwisted-HalfKnot.com

ikepete

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 09:12:11 AM »

I like it. on your home page there is a line "make you smile!" that is a little hard to see it is right in the picture

InKrEdible IKE
Peter John

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 09:31:13 AM »

Thanks, is that better?

ikepete

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 09:46:41 AM »

Yes Sir!.....Did your mom really say "You are not only talented and good
looking, but a great son, too!"....seems a little fishy

InKrEdible IKE
Peter John

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 09:54:34 AM »

Yes Sir!.....Did your mom really say "You are not only talented and good
looking, but a great son, too!"....seems a little fishy

I said, "His mother"... never said "my mother"   Good catch though.

Marvelous Marc

Eat, twist, be happy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 04:11:23 PM »

Like the background and color scheme. Easy to find and navigate options (a BIG plus).

Two critical points:

1. Your hover effects on the photos are triggered in some inconvenient spots (like when i want to click the Endorsements link). I recommend either tightening the hover area or expanding the dead area around it so as not to trigger false positives. They make the page a bit choppy.

2. Widescreen laptops and monitors are becoming more of the norm. Your page leaves a lot of dead space on the right side for tighter resolutions and wider screens. Would be good to design it to expand to fit.

Hope that is helpful.

Eat, twist, be happy.
Peter John

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 06:55:15 PM »

Like the background and color scheme. Easy to find and navigate options (a BIG plus).

Two critical points:

1. Your hover effects on the photos are triggered in some inconvenient spots (like when i want to click the Endorsements link). I recommend either tightening the hover area or expanding the dead area around it so as not to trigger false positives. They make the page a bit choppy.

2. Widescreen laptops and monitors are becoming more of the norm. Your page leaves a lot of dead space on the right side for tighter resolutions and wider screens. Would be good to design it to expand to fit.

Hope that is helpful.

Marc, Thanks for the input.

I will work to tighten the photos if I can.   As for the second issue, what screen size should I be shooting at?  I was using simple HTML to format this.  Is there a "auto adjust" type of feature I can install in the coding to detect the type of screen viewed.  It has been about 10 years since I read up on any new computer codes.  Thanks for your advice and help.

Lisa C

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 08:32:52 PM »

Like the website - like the colours and the blue background.

There are some lines of text that are 'orphaned' - look at it on a wide screen and you will see what I mean (one
word
on a line, and the rest of the sentence finished on the next line)

The Services page is a bit 'wordy'.  You could find clients can't really be bothered reading the whole thing
Maybe if you have a little description with a click on 'more' so they can read the ones that suit them?

Also, I understand the need for watermarks, but the current position of many of them distort the picture. 
I do like where you placed the watermark on the main picture of the main page though.

You've done a great job though - well done!  Hope it will serve you well

Lisa
Marvelous Marc

Eat, twist, be happy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010, 09:46:16 PM »

PJ: The most common practice in HTML editing is to use pixel amounts to determine size. Many HTML editors continue to lead us to believe that this is good practice. It really isn't, especially when you use tables (which I noticed you do).

The line of code that you have to create your main table is thus: <table width="1028" height="1300" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
This will make certain that your home page is ALWAYs only that wide and that tall, even when i resize my window or don't have it fully maximized when i view your site.

In contrast, my own site works with percentages instead of pixels (except with certain graphics that i want to remain the same size throughout). My table code on my home page looks like this: <table style="width: 97%" cellpadding="0">
With percentages, I am saying "Make the table 97% as wide as the open window." Thus, when i resize or change resolution, the page resizes with it by scrolling text and other items dynamically (to a point... since I maintain some images at a certain pixel size, they will eventually stop the resize effects). Look at my album or info pages fr the best effect.

This, of course, also means that if i have a wide screen display, the web site expands to fill it instead of leaving dead space.

I wrote this assuming a certain knowledge of HTML on your part. If you need it simplified, let me know!

Eat, twist, be happy.
Peter John

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 05:54:58 AM »

Caught most of it.  Thanks.

I did not know of percentages.  Although my first computer was a Tandy TRS80 Color system 3 with back up "tapes", I have not had much use for programing in the last 10 years since they have made programs to do most of what I wanted done.  I will look into what you are recommending and see if I can fix it.  One question--- Do I have to Table everything or just the page size?

Marvelous Marc

Eat, twist, be happy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 06:22:46 PM »

Define "table everything". I do not follow

Eat, twist, be happy.
Peter John

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 10:13:25 PM »

Define "table everything". I do not follow

Table on every page or just one page covers all?

Marvelous Marc

Eat, twist, be happy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2010, 04:21:49 PM »

Looks like you are using tables on all your pages, so apply this as you see fit. Experiment with some percentages if you do not want the thing to stretch all the way (90% is the standard for a main table).

Also, on your photos that "jump", the mouse cursor turns into a pointy finger when you hover on those, and it gives the illusion that you can click and go somewhere, which you cannot. It's a property of the mouseOver attribute. You can use your CSS to change what the cursor look slike when you hover over those areas, leaving it a regular arrow.

Eat, twist, be happy.
Peter John

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2010, 07:24:32 PM »

Thanks... I really have to catch up to the latest computer languages.  I appreciate the helpful feedback.

Nikolett

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2010, 02:34:46 PM »

Hi PJ
I can't give any computer tips but I would suggest keeping the original proportions on the pictures used and rather cropping them as needed. At the moment a few faces look distorted. Also try to get a sharper photo for your home page - it's a great shot but a bit blurry.
Cheers

Every accomplishment starts with the decision to try.
www.vidambohoc.hu
facebook.com/Lufigura
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Balloon Animals