Balloon Animal Twisting Forum
July 30, 2014, 10:09:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The balloon animal supply store is closing so i can spend more time on  making videos.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Belatex vs. Qualatex  (Read 9493 times)
Nipper

View Profile
« on: January 26, 2010, 07:45:44 AM »

Ok, so I have been doin balloons for about 8 years now and I heard of Belatex a couple times... With that said how do they match up to Qualatex? They are all that I use and LOVE them, resilient and well... ya. So anybody use Belatex over Qualatex? Or just another balloon brand that is out there.
Twisted Chicken

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 08:45:03 AM »

I started using only Qualatex. Then I saw some colors from Betallatex that I really loved so I decided to try that brand. I purchased about 10 or 12 bags of 260s in different colors to try them out.

They worked well. I believe the quality is as good as Qualatex. I found them to be a little bit skinnier and about an inch longer than Qualatex. I believe Betallatex is a good quality balloon for professional balloon twisters. However, when it was time to reorder, I went back to Qualatex.

After using Betallatex for a couple months, I decided I like the feel of Qualatex better. It feels more supple and smooth in my hands. The Betallatex balloons feel a little more plastic to me. I thought they worked well but I just didn't like the feel of them as much.

I still use a couple colors of Betallatex because they are great colors that Qualatex doesn't offer but overall, I choose Qualatex.

Nipper

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 02:37:06 PM »

Ok, makes sense. Just wondered due to all I ever use is Qualatex. Thank you for your input.
Alley-Oop

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 01:25:57 PM »

I too only used Qualatex for many years. 
For a while I switched to primarily Betallatex after using them to teach balloon camps to kids last summer.  At the camp the poppage rate was amazingly less.
I use a Majiloon pump and the Betallatex balloons may be too hard on it as they are thicker and possibly harder to inflate.
The pump was very expensive but well worth it's investment.  I don't want to wear out the pump so I have not switched back maily to Qualatex ordering a few colors still from Betallatex.

Betallatex work well in the summer on hot days as they are thicker and pop less often.
They are also longer which many times is a plus.
I love their color - fuchsia (bright pink).
Their black is a solid rather than a jewel tone and is much sturdier.
I am not a big fan of jewel tones.
Their key lime is close to lime green only they seem to pop way less often.
I also have gotten very very few bad balloons from Betallatex.  Where I have gotten some bad batches from Qualatex.  The lady who I spoke with in customer service at Pioneer was not the most polite.  I haven't ever tried to call Betallatex.
They also have 360s rather than 350s which is great for giant swords.

Qualatex balloons are softer, more pliable, and much easier to work with when making lots of small bubbles.
I agree that they also feel nicer in your hands.  Both balloons have their advantages and disadvantages.  Some companies like La Rocks sell both so you can try some of each.
Papaballoon

Off with his head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 05:13:32 AM »

OK, I like BOTH about equally well.  Betallic/Sempertex is a little bit thicker and has a slightly stiffer compound than Qualatex but I mostly use Qualatex for a couple of reasons.  First they are more available where I live, and second, that is simply habit. I know the balloons and what I can and can't do with them.

On the other hand, Betallic makes some really nice colors too and they have EXCELLENT quality (certainly as fine as Q really) and the differences are mostly a matter of preference.  But B has some really interesting shapes. the Bear heads, the rattlesnakes/worms (WAY cool!) the 550 spiral and a few others that make them a choice for some other fun stuff!

I have heard that recently a shipment of Betallic balloons was refused into the states on a technicality of some sort and had to be returned to SA and reshipped.  I DO NOT KNOW IF THIS IS ENTIRELY TRUE, but I trust my source.  Evidently there was NOTHING WRONG WITH THE BALLOONS just something about the ship or something that made the customs people refuse it.  But it caused a delay!  I was waiting for my local guy to get in a shipment of B so that I could have a bag or two of the colors that I personally like.  HOPEFULLY  B will be able to have balloons at T&S!!!!  I think that they will  (I am sure that they will!) which makes it fun to fiddle with !  I love to JAM!  I may not be in the Jam room 24 a day, but I plan to be there as much as I can!

Papa

how do you get to Carnige Hall? ...........PRACTICE!
harold_a_shaver

Big Kahuna

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 06:26:16 PM »

Qualatex

Qualatex

Qualtex

I use around 9000 balloons a month Jan-April and about 12,000 a month the balance of the year. I do not have time to deal with poppage  or repairs . The Qs worl well in direct sunlight 90 degrees plus ( black onyx  and jewel purple can be challenging) they worl well in cooler temps as well.

I use Mac Pumps and Mouth inflate.

I have used Belatex and the more delicate creations do not seem to last as long as the Qualatex

Making Smiles One Twist At A Time (TM)
hinotes

No longer in the business but love balloons. : )

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 08:01:00 AM »

Q's for me! I do use B's periodically and without fail my hands have issues... do they possibly use different powders? It seems my fingers get dry and crack very easily whenever I'm working with more than a few B balloons. Can't figure it out but I'm a fan of the Qs, when they have what I need.  Grin

Christine
Papaballoon

Off with his head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 07:38:31 PM »

I had a chance to test B vs Q back to back in the Jam room at T&S (I am so sad that it is over!) and I thought that Q seemed to pop a lot less!  also, My friend Jake started to have issues with his hands.  He was breaking out and having problems. I was having problems with my lungs!  they hurt and were congested!  B?  I don't know!  i got home and had a horriffic cold.  Cleared up almost entirely by the next Saturday in time for a show!  Was it eh balloons?  No idea, but I am slightly suspicious!

I "Will still use B for a few colors. specifically Toffee, Bubble gum pink, and a few others.  but not much more than that!

Papa

balLOONY

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 09:30:44 PM »

I like the quality of B, but Q has a wider selection of colors
jillybilly1976

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 08:43:41 AM »

I use Qualatex because it is locally available, and I don't twist enough to order online, shipping costs are to high....

Love, like a river, will cut a new path whenever it meets an obstacle
sara k

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 08:49:32 PM »

I have to order as there are no local dealers near me. I have tried some balloons called Betallatex that I got from Larocks in the brown and pink. I went back to Qualatex. The Betallatex balloons are a little longer but they are stiffer and I had to squeeze each bubble before twisting it to soften it, I had a lot more popage with them because I think they are just stiffer for me to twist. I may try some for the different colors that Qualatex doesn't have. I think it is personal preference. My hands are small. If I was heavier handed maybe it would not be so noticeable.
balloonguy2

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 07:21:26 PM »

I just got a bunch of betallatex last weekend and have been playing with them ever since.  It doesn't seem like they can take the beating qualatex can and they always seem to pop when you are ten minutes deep into a don caldwell sculpture.  I can see using certain colors.  I like the clears because they don't stick to themselves like qualatex jewel tones which I absolutely hate.  (the jewel tones that is) I've only tried the 260s but I think I may pick up a few colors of 360s just for that extra length because there are a few hats I know that are just a little too snug using one 350.  I haven't completely written them off because I bought quite a few and I'm not just gonna throw them out.  I could still learn to like them but I will definitely continue to favor qualatex.  To me, qualatex just requires less special attention to turn out good sculptures.  If I change my mind, I'll let you know. 
Papaballoon

Off with his head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2010, 07:09:39 AM »

I have some Key Lime green Bs and some Bubble Gum Pink as well as the toffee and the peach and pale pink. (skin tones)  Just lately I have not had the skin issues or breathing issues but then I am not using them constantly either.

Also, just recently I have heard that Q has had some quality issues resulting from a slight change in their mix and possibly some mechanical issues in the factory.  They are on top of it from what I hear so it should not have any effect on long term quality.   I still use 90% Qs and will continue to do so.

Papa

sara k

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2010, 09:26:09 AM »

Papa,
I had issues with balloons I ordered from Quallatex and they said they had it fixed now and sent me double replacements. It thought that was more than fair. Not sure if B's ever has similar problems. My dealer says it happens to all balloon companies some time or other.
Busty

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 04:42:55 AM »

I have some strange balloons I bought from a party store.. don't know what they are but I bought them 2 years ago and they still work great... they are 260s but are actually more the size of 350... not quite as small as the 260 Q brand.

Primarily, I use Qualatex but would expand into Bella if I could find a supplier here in Canada.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Balloon Animals