Balloon Animal Twisting Forum
September 16, 2014, 06:26:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The balloon animal supply store is closing so i can spend more time on  making videos.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: If you're a clown, which type are you?
Auguste - 3 (33.3%)
Character - 3 (33.3%)
Tramp/Hobo - 0 (0%)
Whiteface - 3 (33.3%)
Total Voters: 9

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: General Clown Discussion  (Read 3554 times)
Eddie Edwards

View Profile
« on: November 15, 2009, 11:47:48 AM »

As you might expect, there's more to clowning than just balloons. That's right! This thread concentrates on clowns in general from the various types of clown to how to perform as one.
To get the ball rolling, here's a piece of relevant information:

Types of Clown

Auguste
The auguste (pronounced 'aw-goost') is made up of a not-so-intelligent character who wears large shoes and oversized clothing. The make-up consists of white just around the eyes and mouth lined out in black and/or red and the base colour is one of the following colours: Orange, yellow, bright brown, bright blue. Thus, representing a well-tanned look.

Character
Character clowns are fairly common these days. They portray some form of indentification whether this would be a police officer, doctor, etc.

Tramp
Tramp clowns basically depict homelessness hence the tatty clothing as well as the artificial stubble painted on by means of greasepaint as well as white around the eyes and mouth.

Whiteface
The whiteface obviously uses white as a base colour, make-up-wise. This would be the most refined out of any type of clown especially the classic/neat whiteface as their character is ultimately intelligent and skillful.

Papaballoon

Off with his head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 03:41:55 PM »

I am NOT a clown.....At least appearance wise.  this has been a topic of discussion SOMEWHERE with me, but I do  not remember if it was HERE or not.  In any case, It is not that I dislike Clowns.  quite teh contrary, I think clowns, IF THEY ARE VERY VERY GOOD, are really wonderful!  But a bad clown is .....How can I say this delicately.......Just not "right" somehow.

My decision to avoid makeup and big floppy shoes has a lot to do with my lazyness (I can't imagine taking an hour to put on make up!) and my lack of skill in face painting or much of ANY artistic ability.  coupled with my VERY REAL concern that some children, and a few adults are deathly afraid of clowns...Including my daughters!

On the other hand...If you go by actions...I AM a clown!  Clowning is WHAT I DO! I am silly, I say silly things and have FUN with kids and adults while out in public!

By the way, read some of teh Terry Pratchett books that involve the "Fools guild" or "Guild of Joculators" which is ruled by "Dr. Whiteface" who's face, under it's painted on smile, "....was as cold and aloof as that of any prince of Hell!..."  Of course, Clowns are NOT funny...After all that is the entire premise...Oh yes, and the ONLY crime that can get you thrown into the dungeon in Ankh-Morepork, the major city of the Disc World is.......being a Mime!  they don't hang them because a Mime is a terrible thing to waste!
such Books include, "Men at Arms", "Making Money" and  a few mentions in a couple of other books here and there.  I was quite taken with the entire concept actually!

Papa

how do you get to Carnige Hall? ...........PRACTICE!
Eddie Edwards

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 05:38:14 AM »

Personally, I've been doing a bit of research on coulrophobia (fear of clowns). To start with, I had such a phobia as that when I was a child. Moving on, the word coulrophobia (pronounced 'cal-roh-foh-bee-ah') derives from the Greek word 'kolon' or 'kolobathristes' meaning 'stiltwalker' and also 'phobos' meaning a fear of something. What's more, there isn't necessarily a fear of clowns but a matter of seeing unfamiliar faces.
If you're looking for a way to tackle coulrophobia, I would suggest doing the following: If you see a child crying when you step into the room, turn to the rest of the audience and ask, 'Is anybody else going to cry? Raise your hand'. And when nobody wants to admit they're going to cry especially when they say something like 'I don't like clowns', you say something like 'I don't like clowns either and you know what? They taste funny'.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 01:21:06 PM by Eddie Edwards » Logged
that_guyjake

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 08:45:52 PM »

I have to agree with papa.  I am personally scared of clowns...(though i don't know why)....  I can tolerate them in the area, but if they get close to me...I am moving. 

I am a balloon artist not a hire a clown organization.  Right now the only people that do balloons in my area only come as clowns.  If they want a clown...they can find one!

Jake

A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle...
Twisted

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 09:48:25 PM »

I tried to be a clown....I think I got the concept wrong.

Eddie Edwards

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 01:20:07 PM »

I tried to be a clown....I think I got the concept wrong.

That looks more like the joker from the Batman films.
that_guyjake

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 10:20:13 PM »

Twisted- That is AWESOME!  I don't know that i would ask for a balloon from you looking like that but you might win best costume... Cool

A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle...
Twisted

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 12:58:03 AM »

Twisted- That is AWESOME!  I don't know that i would ask for a balloon from you looking like that but you might win best costume... Cool

Thank you, thank you. Halloween obviously. And Edward, that's what I was going for mate, glad it worked.

Perry Noia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 10:00:48 AM »

My sister is afraid of clowns.  There are a lot of ways to deal with children being afraid.

Most children that may start to cry at the sight of a clown, I would not truly classify as colourophobic.... they are merely small children and are afraid because a clown is something that they have never experienced before.  Or if they have, it may not have been under the best circumstances.  There are several ways in which I handle frightened children (although it truthfully does not happen often)... first of all, you NEED to get down to their level or lower.  Make yourself small and quiet, not big and loud.  I also put my head down and look at them the way you would if you were being extremely shy.  I make sure to tell them that it's ok if they don't want to come over right now, but if they'd like a balloon or a sticker I can make it for them from where they are and give it to mom for them.  If I am at a party and one of the children does not come over to play with us right away, that is certainly alright... they usually just need more time to get used to me.  And a party is actually the best place for it, at a fair they'd only have a few minutes to either come over or not, but at a party I'm there for an hour or more and they can either stay away the whole time (which has NEVER happened BTW) or they can join us later and usually, I'm getting the biggest hugs from them by the end.

Teens and adults who are LEGITIMATELY colourophobic and not just saying they are afraid of clowns for attention, will avoid you as a clown.  You won't see them, you won't have to deal with them, their parents won't shove them in your face as they scream.  I think the bigger trouble that I have seen comes from the clowns who don't believe that it is a legitimate phobia and end up making them feel worse.  Phobias are real, they don't all make sense, but they are real.  The simple fact that I have a million and one REAL phobias in my everyday life is why I chose to be Perry Noia the Scaredy Clown to begin with... I don't have to pretend that I'm not afraid of the horse-sized dog that is galloping towards me from the living room if Perry is afraid of the same things that I am. Cheesy

My category is a fairly new one called "Light Auguste" ... it basically follows the look of a traditional Auguste but without the base.  It is kept light and simple for quicker application, more comfort in hot weather, and just generally a more easy-going look.  But being a clown is not just about wearing the costume and that is the key to what Papa was saying about being "VERY VERY GOOD" ... don't just wear the costume and twist balloons... it's about how you interact with people, how child-friendly your humour is (in general), and maintaining a character that is different from your normal self.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 11:51:01 AM by Perry Noia » Logged

Perry Noia
the Scaredy Clown

www.freewebs.com/perrynoia
Eddie Edwards

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 02:21:51 PM »

I'm also a light auguste.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 04:30:31 AM by Eddie Edwards » Logged
Busty

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 05:32:16 AM »

YUCK YUCK YUCK

I don't like makeup.

Women who wear to much makeup scary me Cheesy

Eddie Edwards

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2010, 06:36:28 PM »

YUCK YUCK YUCK

I don't like makeup.

Women who wear to much makeup scary me Cheesy

If you're a clown, it's your decision when it comes to make-up. For example, you could just simply wear a nose and no make-up at all. Again, it's your decision.
harold_a_shaver

Big Kahuna

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 12:46:53 PM »

Thanks for the food for thought.

I am not a clown. But I guess if things slow down or I can't make balloons anymore...I could be a clown.

There have been many successful clowns. I have met Bello Knock and he is incredible. It could lead to a successful
career for myself.....in politics.

Making Smiles One Twist At A Time (TM)
Eddie Edwards

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 04:25:16 PM »

Thanks for the food for thought.

I am not a clown. But I guess if things slow down or I can't make balloons anymore...I could be a clown.

There have been many successful clowns. I have met Bello Knock and he is incredible. It could lead to a successful
career for myself.....in politics.

For example, I can tell you that Laurel & Hardy are well-known clowns who never wore 'recognisable' costumes or make-up.
harold_a_shaver

Big Kahuna

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 07:25:43 PM »

Eddie great point!

We could put a thread together on that!

Lewis and Martin
Abbott & Costello
The Stooges
Harold Lloyd
Buster Keaton
Fatty Arbuckle