Balloon Animal Twisting Forum
December 20, 2014, 10:35:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The balloon animal supply store is closing so i can spend more time on  making videos.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: What made you start to tie balloons?  (Read 3333 times)
mathemagiciandan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2009, 03:31:17 PM »

I was a counselor at a summer camp for kids for a couple of years, and we had a carnival day once each summer.  The camp director suggested we learn how to make balloon animals for the carnival, so my wife and I learned a few basic ones.  After that I didn't really do anything with balloons for a few years, until my birthday last year, when I decided it would be fun to take a bunch of balloons to school and make things for people.  Then I checked out some books from the library, started looking around on the internet... and now look what you've gotten me into!    Grin
ikepete

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2009, 05:17:28 PM »

I haven't been doing it very long, but I started the same way I did for juggling.  I woke up one day and said, "hey, I can't juggle, I should learn that." So I did.  I woke up and said, "Hey, I should do balloon animals." And now I do.  Cheesy randomness seems to be key to fun!

J.D. Ebos

haha yeah i just decided to try juggling...its a slow process

InKrEdible IKE
Papaballoon

Off with his head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2009, 06:50:12 PM »

Well, just remember...throw UP!

HAhhahahhahahaha!

how do you get to Carnige Hall? ...........PRACTICE!
twistedjester

Keep the Party POPPIN!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2009, 11:47:09 PM »

I was 12 years old and I saw my first magic/balloon act.  So I bought a book and some balloons.  I was 13 when I got my first gig doing balloons animals for a Girl Scout fundraiser in California back in 89.  I have been in love ever since.  I twisted on and off just for fun for other kids but never really went past a few basic things until about 7 years ago when I discovered there was more to do.  I am a entertainer.  I don't do the whole clown get up or anything like that but I love to wear crazy hats and toy key rings on chains on my pants.  I love to make people laugh and I guess my child like heart keeps me on a different level.  I try to keep a bit of my rocker image with my clown work.  It is fun though because most parents relate to my 80's rock band t-shirts and the kids love all the toys I hang off my tripp pants.  It works for me...plus the churches get me involved because I can relate to the younger crowds...LOL.   I don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing...LOL. 
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 11:51:42 PM by twistedjester » Logged

1-Wonderful Husband
3-Amazing Kids = Jessi, Jimmy, Hailey
1-Crazy Cat - Blaze
5 -Spoiled Gliders - Lily, Daisy, Jazmin, Holly, and Clover +1 in Pouch
and Me...The Twisted Jester
J.D. Ebos

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2009, 04:00:02 PM »

Lol, Well if anyone wants help with juggling, I can instruct from technical 3 ball work, to contact juggling, to my discipline of numbers juggling (5 or above.)  And yeah, throw up, it helps.  Balloons are way better business wise.  A twister will usually get the job bid above a juggler, trust me I know.  For me this is good business, (a.k.a. I needed an excuse to learn balloons, they're freakin amazing.) And so I "learned" for "improving my clientelle" but really I just love all this stuff.   Grin

Putting the Fun back in Dysfunctional.
ikepete

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2009, 10:44:35 PM »

well today it finally clicked and got the 3 ball juggling. its not very good but i got it. i like balloons better and so does my family well not so much mom she ends up picking them up and throwing them in my room. i need to get some balloon books to figure out some other balloon ideas.

I will be tying balloons for the first time out in public, well my local mall where there will be more than 5 people i dont know

InKrEdible IKE
J.D. Ebos

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2009, 09:15:33 AM »

Good job about the three ball juggling!  Grin And don't worry, you're gonna be amazing at the mall.  When in doubt, and if you've already learned everything from the videos here of course, youtube has great balloon tutorials for characters like elmo, roadrunner, and many others.  Not always easy for line work per se, but great for getting attention and improving your skills.  Good Luck, and tell us how the gig goes.

J.D. Ebos

Putting the Fun back in Dysfunctional.
ikepete

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2009, 10:06:54 AM »

thanks ...i found the road runner on youtube and made it. It turned out really well

I hope i do well at the mall...i still havent gotten past going out in public in my clown costume...its one thing to be doing it with a group of people, which there will be two others but im walking in the door by myself

InKrEdible IKE
Papaballoon

Off with his head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2009, 02:49:51 PM »

Quick tip on scraps!  Part one.  Use a Scissors or learn to break the extra off the balloon so you have a whole piece with no extra hole in it!  Otherwise they don't stay up when you try to use the scraps!   HAH!

Second, designate SOMEPLACE on you as a "scrap bin" and toss the scraps in there to keep them handy.   why??? you will USE them!  Scraps of white make eyeballs for creations.  Scraps can make feet, hands, bowties, or fingers!  there are a MILLION AND ONE uses for balloon scraps!

MArk

how do you get to Carnige Hall? ...........PRACTICE!
Peter John

If you build it they will come (and take it away!)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2009, 04:45:28 PM »

Topic: "What made you start to tie balloons?"

My answer, if I did not tie them the air would go out!

Papa, scraps can also be used to keep parts of the balloon together like Don's baseball glove, holding together knees like John Holmes Jesus on the cross, to use to hold together many other joints on the balloons!  I LOVE SCRAPS

Other good things for scraps.  Leave them in your pocket when the go to the dry cleaners... BALLOONS MELT AND GET OVER EVERYTHING! (Okay, on second thought you probably should not do that one. 

I have also fixed many things with balloons or scraps.  I had a toilet chain and broke off from the handle. I put a balloon in place until I could get a new one.  I was on the road with my London Taxi and I lost a linkage from my carburetor assembly.  I tied it together with a balloon scrap and that got me to the next hardware store where I could buy something that would fix it.  I have used balloon scraps to hold my kitchen cabinets closed when my little nephew came for a visit.  I also have used them in a pinch for rubber bands to hold my business cards from getting all over.

SCRAPS ARE GOOD!

jillybilly1976

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2009, 09:25:57 AM »

I was taught some basic figures some 3 or 4 years ago now, but only became really interested in balloons about a year ago.  The place I was working at was having a 5 year anniversay and we were asked to decorate our team areas as part of a contest.  Our team chose the theme of a 5 year old's birthday party.  I spent some time online and wove a basket and filled it full of flowers to take the most promenant position in the center of the stub wall, I know adventurous for a first real attempt at twisting.  I also twisted up about 20 figures, to line the cubicle walls.  From that I was asked to do up another basket of flowers as a center piece for a little girls first birthday and about 20 1 balloon flowers as party favors, all made in adavance and delivered just befor the party.  One of my church friends found out and hired me for her 2 year old's birthday, and from word of mouth things spread.  I still don't make any money at this point but I cover my costs and for me that's huge as I've never had a hobbie that ended up paying for itself.

So I have only been twisting seriously for 1 year now, and it's been a fun year.

Love, like a river, will cut a new path whenever it meets an obstacle
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Balloon Animals